Scones, a must have for any Afternoon Tea or Cream Tea. While they originated in Scotland in the early 1500s, they’ve come a long way since then, and now you can make your own vegan scones which taste as good as any other!
I split my mix in half and made 5 fruit and 5 plain, but you can do all plain by leaving the fruit out completely or all fruit by adding double the amount of fruit and adding it to the lot.
You’ll want a 3inch round cutter for cutting them out. You could make mini scones, but you’ll need to adjust your cooking times accordingly.
Total Time: 25
- 500g/3.25 cups self raising flour
- 125g/0.5 cups vegan margarine
- 100g/1/2 cup caster sugar
- 2tsp baking powder
- 200ml/ 1 cup water
- 115g/ 0.75 cups raisins (optional)
- STEP 1: In a mixing bowl, add your baking powder, flour and vegan margarine and rub between your fingers until it forms a breadcrumb texture.
- STEP 2: Add your sugar and mix in, then place the bowl onto an electric mixer, add your water and use the beater to gently mix until combined.
- STEP 3: Your mix should be a nice dough texture. Remove from the bowl and mix in your rasins
- STEP 4: On a floured surface, gently knead your mix and add a little flour if its too soft, roll it out so its about 4cm thick. Use your cutter to cut the scones out and place them on a papered baking tray. Keep remoulding and rolling your mix until you’ve used it all up.
- STEP 5: Bake for 12-15 minutes or until they look golden brown. Another good way to test is to take one off the tray, and gently tap the bottom, it should sound hollow.
- STEP 6: Serve warm with vegan margarine and jam or cool completely and store in an airtight container. These are also great for freezing, just make sure you give yourself enough time for them to fully defrost before eating!
How did you get on?
The vegan scones in our house were “scone” before we knew it…. *queue tumbleweed*
Did you make any changes to the recipe? Did you have any additions? Most importantly, jam or vegan cream on top?? We’d love for you to share your thoughts with us!